Exhibitions: There are a number of exhibitions through the year providing opportunities to display and sell your work. Periodic competitions provide the opportunity to have your work assessed against the work of others – a great way to learn and improve your skills.
Training Workshops: Training sessions for members are held regularly during the year in all aspects of woodworking.
The Goals for the Blackall Range Woodcrafters Guild Incorporated is to:
- To foster and promote an active interest in all matters relating to the history, development and artistic expertise of working in wood with interested citizens on the Blackall Range.
- To raise funds for club activities and for the improvement of the Guild.
- To raise funds for suitable charitable organisations, research, and community projects, which will further the standing of the Guild in the community.
Benefits of Membership
- Use of a large range of woodworking machinery.
- Easy Access to timber for personal projects.
- Friendly tuition with personal projects.
- Regular opportunities to display and sell your work.
- Friendship of a group of likeminded people
- Participation in social functions.
Shed Phone: 0409 050 418
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shed Location: Montville Sports Ground approximately 3 km south of Montville on the Montville-Maleny Road.
Shed Opening Times: Shed hours are 8 am to 12 noon. Members are encouraged to pursue their interests according to the following schedule:
- Mondays — General Activities
- Tuesdays — Carving & Turning
- Wednesdays — Toy Making & General Activities
- Thursdays — Furniture & Joinery
- Fridays — Turning & General Activities
- Saturdays — Demonstrations & General
- Daily Meeting Fee $2.00
- Annual Membership Fee $40.00
- Annual Membership Fee for Couple $45.00
- Joining Fee $25.00
- Name Badge $13.00
Timber Sales: An up to date timber price list is on the notice board and members are reminded that:
- Slabs and other timber may be cut cross grain providing the remaining offcut is not less than 1200mm. A $3.00 premium is payable.
- Timber sales to non members carry a 20% surcharge.
- Members are to ensure that all timbers taken from the shed are paid for on the day. Otherwise timber may be left in the shed with a member’s name clearly marked to reserve it for one week.
The Procedure for Buying Timber:
- Do not cut the timber first.
- Select the timber you want to purchase and contact one of the members authorised to calculate costing from the list below.
- The costing member will dohe measuring in your presence and quote a price that allows for any defects.
- Members authorised to measure and price timber are: Shed Managers, Shed Captains and Activity Officers.
Guild History: The idea for a guild grew from just some hazy dreaming in a shed between a few old Range ‘woodies’ who felt the need for a club to serve the whole of the Blackall Range. Development on the range and adjacent areas due to the recreational and retirement plans of many people was increasing, and the search for fulfilling hobbies, perhaps with some income generation, and the chance for constructive community involvement was growing.
The decision was made to have a go and the club had its first meeting in St.Mary’s Hall on the Village Green at Montville on 4th March 1996. The Blackall Range Woodcrafters Guild Inc was formally incorporated on 30th April 1996.
In 2002, after six years in a shed on Western Avenue, and following the receipt of a Jupiter’s Casino Grant, we moved to a more permanent base at the Montville Sports Ground, about 3km south of Montville.
With good local support, the club has rapidly grown into a thriving purposeful group over 150 strong, including a good number of ladies. It now has a complete range of equipment, including a solar drying kiln and a large stock and range of timber supplies. In our new premises we envisage young people, retirees, people in care centres and similar being able to take advantage of the benefits which a permanent and purpose-built building can provide.